As we head into summer and start making plans for beach days, picnics and road trips we thought now is the perfect time to rethink picnic etiquette especially in relation to living sustainably. The days are long so even after work there is time to grab a few things and head to your favorite park or beach; relax, watch the sunset or a movie with friends and family. With the right mindset it is easy to make this a healthy habit.
Top 7 Tips for a Sustainable Picnic
- Use natural bug repellant and sun screen especially if you are going in the water so chemicals don't wash off into the ecosystem.
- Bring reusable cups and plates, they are better for the environment and less likely to blow away if left unattended.
- Prepare finger food that does not require cutlery or invest in reusable cutlery.
- Grabbing food from your local market may seem like the easy button, but think about all the packaging. Is it really necessary? Can you make snacks yourself?
- Use cotton napkins, tablecloths and blankets that can be washed and reused.
- Leave nothing behind, make sure you pack everything up and take it with you. There is nothing worse than showing up to your favorite picnic spot to find the trash overflowing from previous guests. Not to mention the smell, bugs and animals it may attract.
- Noise carries, so even though you made a playlist full of your favorite songs it might not be what everyone around you wants to hear. Do us all a favor and keep the sound level low.
Thanks for reading,
We may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you from the links below and in the post above, but we think these companies are worth sharing.
Fund literacy and protect the planet when you buy books from Certified B Corporation, Better World Books. To date Better World Books has donated over 31 million books, raised over $32 million to fund literacy programs and libraries and reused or recycled over 386 million books keeping them out of our landfills.
In Case You Missed It -
PlushBeds is committed to using certified organic and natural materials to handcraft, high quality, eco-friendly mattresses and bedding accessories. GOTS Certified, GOLS Certified, GreenGuard Gold Certified, CertiPur Certified are just a few of the third party certification standards PlushBeds adheres to. USA made in California using handcrafted techniques passed down through generations ensures that each mattress has the quality, durability and support you deserve for a superior night sleep. PlushBeds backs this up with a 25 year warranty, 100 night risk free sleep trial and free shipping.
ECOS Paints - Environmentally friendly, water based paints for your home that is non-toxic, zero VOC and hand crafted in their South Carolina plant. Exceptional coverage up to 560 sq. ft. per gallon and a transparent ingredient list make ECOS Paints the healthy home choice.
East Fork Pottery takes a stand for social equality. Partnering with community outreach organizations to stretch outside their comfort zone; paying employees a living wage, they are now working towards increasing wages to a family living wage. Receiving Carbon Neutral Certification and B Corporation Certification has inspired them to make even greater changes. East Fork's About Page was part of our inspiration for starting The Savvy Elephant. AND we haven't even touched on how stunning and beautiful their pottery is! See for yourself by clicking through to the East Fork Website.
Leave a comment below, or drop us a line if you have a question or want us to look into a topic you think will interest The Savvy Elephant community.
Not subscribed yet? You can take care of that here!
The Savvy Elephant is an online marketplace bringing you the highest quality sustainable furniture and home décor. Shop responsibly with brands that support your values.